I'm a hooker

Tuesday, July 26, 2011
I am a hooker.  Ok, it’s not what you think...I am a closet crocheter  – if that is even a word.  Not many people know of my new talent, mostly because when I tell someone they scrunch up their face and say “oh that is nice, my grandma does that too.” 

I am not a grandma, not even close, but love my new found hobby.   I am a person constantly on the go that can’t just sit; I always have to be doing something. I find sitting in my comfy chair watching TV, with a ball of yarn and a hook relaxes me. 
How I got started
This past winter I was bored, pregnant and was looking at baby things on Etsy.  I found such cute baby hats and thought “I could do that, or at least try.”  Off I went to my nearest craft store, and picked up a beginner crochet kit.  It came with variety of hooks, a book and other items I had no idea what they were for. 

I should have saved my money because the book was of no use.  I couldn’t decipher what was happening in the photos and I was shocked that the patterns are written in code.  If you have ever seen a crochet pattern before you will know what I mean.
I then turned to YouTube to help me understand the basic stitches.  There are some great videos out there to help you get started.   I sat there for a few hours crocheting a square, tearing it out, crocheting the same square then tearing it out. After about 15 minutes of doing this my hands were cramping and I had a permanent concentration line across my forehead.  I was about to throw in the towel.

Patterns
I then stumbled upon what is now my favourite Etsy shop – Speckled Frog Crochet.  The patterns were so adorable, reasonably priced and were for  beginners.  I was sold and made my first purchase.  The pattern was emailed to me almost immediately with this note:

“If at any time you need assistance please feel free to contact me at this email."
How great is that?
My first hat turned out pretty good, sizing was a bit off, but I have figured that out now and am a hat making machine. 

Not sure what I am going to do with all my creations, but I just keep making them.  Here are some of my firsts...


If you are considering taking up this hobby and becoming a hooker too, pay the Speckled Frog Crochet Facebook and Etsy pages a visit. 

Other great resources



7UWGTWY7VDSN

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment